Did you ever want chocolate chip cookies but wanted to make something a little different than plain ol’ chocolate chip cookies? If so, this recipe is perfect for you! Taking the base of original chocolate chip cookies, this caramel chocolate chip skillet cookie combines a thin ribbon of caramel sauce and is so much harder to burn (I’m not the only one who routinely burns chocolate chip cookies, right?).
What You Need
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce + extra to drizzle
How You Do It
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- While oven is heating, combine the butter, sugars, and vanilla
- Add in the egg.
- Going 1/3 cup at a time, add the flour and baking soda.
- Add in the chocolate chips. If you’ve been using a hand or stand mixer a up until the point, stir in the chocolate chips by hand to prevent them from breaking.
- Separate the dough in half. Press one half into the bottom of an ungreased, 10-inch cast iron skillet. It’s okay if the bottom isn’t completely covered; the dough will expand as it bakes. Pressing the dough into a 6 or 7-inch disk will work
- Avoiding the edges, pour over the caramel sauce.
- Heavily flour your hands and shape the second half into a disk (saving a little). When it’s roughly the same diameter as the first half, place it on top and press together the edged.
- If there are any cracks, or caramel seeping through, fix them with any dough that you’ve saved.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Note: it’s incredibly easy to overtake this. Because there might be air pockets inside, the cookie might jiggle a little, making it seem like it’s undercooked. If you’re unsure, simply take it out, wait five minutes, and cut open slightly.
- When done, drizzle over as much caramel sauce as you’d like, slice, and enjoy!
I wanted the caramel sauce to harden slightly so I popped it back in the oven for 5 minutes, but totally not mandatory.
These are perfect for dunking in milk. Maybe put some whipped cream on them. Absolutely delicious.
Plus, they’re absolutely stuffed with chocolate chips–no skimping here.
Give these a try and let me know how they turn out. If you haven’t already, make sure to follow me on Instagram. Until next time,
Mix It Up: Prefer butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips? Feel free to substitute those!
2 Comments Add yours
A delish wish!
It’s so good!