Last year I posted some carnival-inspired cotton candy cupcakes, and this time back with these mini caramel popcorn cupcakes! With caramel sauce in both the batter and the frosting, these cupcakes feature caramel corn to top, and, if you’re feeling extra indulgent, you can even use caramel corn covered in chocolate and sprinkles. It’s certainly not required, but it’s what I did, and I love the results!
What you need
- 1 1/2 cups & t tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (white)
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) salted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Caramel Corn
How you do it
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line your cupcake tin.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix together sugars and butter until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and beat. At this point, the batter might be slightly lumpy, the eggs not fully combining with the butter mixture.
- In 3 batches, add in the flour mixture, thoroughly combining between each.
- Pour in the vanilla and caramel sauce and mix.
- Add in the milk. Batter should be somewhat thick at this point.
- Pour into the cupcake tin, filling each liner about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- When done, remove from oven and let cool.
- As cupcakes cool, mix the butter, caramel sauce, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- Add in 1 cup powdered sugar.
- Add in milk.
- Mix in the rest of the powdered sugar. Depending on the type of caramel sauce you use, your frosting might still be too thin at this point. If that’s the case, add in more powdered sugar, going about a tablespoon at a time.
- Once frosting it to your liking, begin to pipe the cupcakes. As you go, add the caramel corn, pressing down lightly.
- Continue until all cupcakes are frosted and topped with popcorn.
I love the large pieces of popcorn on the mini cupcakes; I think it makes them look so fun.
Eat as soon as possible. Storing these is quite difficult, as the popcorn will soften over time due to the frosting.
Despite that, they’ll keep their shape and look just as pretty a day or two later as when you first made them.
What are your thoughts? Are you team cotton candy, or team caramel popcorn? Let me know in the comments below! Until next time,