I love muffins; they’re the perfect on the go breakfast. They’re also so easy to make that they’re amazing to make on the weekends, especially if you’re not an early riser but still want something homemade. These muffins are stuffed with blueberries (nothing worse than getting a flavored muffin and it barely being flavored) and go excellent grilled. Plus, with the potential exception of the blueberries, you probably have all of the ingredients already in your kitchen.
What You Need
2 cups fresh blueberries
3 cups flour plus 1/4 cup
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup vegetable or canola oil (NOT olive oil)
2/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
How you do it
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line cupcake tin. Wash and dry blueberries then coat in 1/4 cup of flour. This will prevent blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Mix in sugar.
- Into the dry ingredients, add wet ingredients: milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Batter will be thick.
- Fold in blueberries. Do not use a hand or stand mixer, as these will break the blueberries. Use a spoon. When done, sit batter aside and make the topping.
- Combine the flour, sugars, and cinnamon first.
- Once combined, cut in the butter using a fork. Mix until butter is incorporated and a paste is formed. Mixture should not be crumbly.
- Fill cupcake liners until they are just about full. Sprinkle a generous amount of topping over each–even more than pictured below!–and cook for 20 minutes.
- When they’re done, take them out, let cool for a few minutes, and enjoy! If you have leftover topping, you can cut the muffins in half and spread it over them– it tastes very much like a cinnamon butter. Otherwise, enjoy as is.
I just love how pretty these are–the contrast between the muffins and the topping is gorgeous.
They’re so full of blueberries–no skimping here.
You’ll get about 16 muffins from this recipe, but there’s nothing telling you that you have to share.
Give them a go and let me know what you think. Until next time,
Mix It Up: Prefer a sweeter muffin? Combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla and drizzle over top–it’ll provide a nice glaze!