With the weather getting warmer, I’ve been dreaming of lighter desserts: fluffier cakes, coconut everything…. The great thing about these cupcakes is that they incorporate both of those!
Using shredding coconut and coconut milk, these are the ultimate coconut treat, with a light and fluffy texture to match.
What you need
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canned, unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee, cooled
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Shredded coconut
- Slivered almonds
How you do it
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Either using a stand mixer or by hand, beat the egg whites until they’re foamy. Gradually add in 1\4 cup sugar; continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and remaining sugar until smooth. Add in vanilla.
- Going 1/2 cup at a time, alternate adding in the flour mixture and coconut milk. The mixture will be somewhat thick at this point.
- Fold in the shredded coconut, followed by the egg whites.
- Using 1/4 cup of batter, fill up the cupcake liners and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick cokes out clean.
- Remove from tin and let cool. Begin preparing the frosting.
- Combine the butter, vanilla, cocoa powder, milk, and coffee.
- Going 1/2 cup at a time, add in the powdered sugar.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, frost and decorate and desired. I sprinkled on shredded coconut and added slivered almonds.
That’s it; they’re ready to serve!
These cupcakes are so light and fluffy, and the chocolate provides a richness that makes these oh so delicious.
You’ll get a dozen cupcakes from one batch, but it can easily be doubled.
What do you think? Would you give these a try? Let me know in the comments below!
Until next time,